Tuesday 14 February 2012

How the Mystery Cabinet Came to Whistler!

Sometimes you recycle more than you mean to is the story of a 63 year old wallet found in a cabinet donated to the Re-Build-It Centre. Both local papers ran a short story about the mystery wallet and because of their help, we now have the story of how it ended up in Whistler.


Yesterday I received an e-mail from Eileen, who was surprised to hear that there was a secret drawer in the cabinet she used to own. "I had no idea there was a secret drawer," she writes. "I aquired the cabinet during my first marriage which occurred in 1963. We lived in Glendale at the time (next to Burbank) and it was a hand-me-down from friends of my parents...the Ertels. It was an old music cabinet which I converted to a china/linen cabinet. An I painted it the colour it was when you aquired!"

Eileen adds,"Then it came to Canada with me when I moved here in 1974 with my second husband. It was used still as a cabinet and then was in storage for a bit...in between husbands! Then when I met my 3rd husband and we bought our house, it came into the dining room and was used for a bit until we started buying antique furniture.  Then when we bought the Whistler property in 1985, it moved there...and remained there until the house was sold! While at Whistler, it also served as a storage area for little kids' toys.

Please feel free to share this part of the journey!" Eileen.

John McGregor, a real estate agent in Whistler had received the cabinet when Eileen sold her house, and then donated it to the Re-Build-It Centre when it was too big for his new townhouse. He was kind enough to contact Eileen with the story published in the paper. Thank you to both for helping us fill in more gaps on the mystery cabinet.

2 comments:

  1. That wallet belonged to my uncle Don...he was actually my moms uncle. Donald had a twin Brother named...are you ready....Ronald Wilford Townsend....this is my grandfather. I can get his kids phone numbers if you want. I saw them, Uncle Don and Aunt Freda at my parents 50 th wedding anniversary in 2004.He was an electrician by trade when I cam along...I'm the oldest of the next generation and I was born in 1955 to his niece Darleen Lea Townsend. The house on Farmount was just a few blocks from ours and I was their paperboy in the 60's I think I have a picture of him I'll send it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. You can also email WCSS office: admin@mywcss.org, Re Use It Centre: reuseit@mywcss.org or Re Build It Centre: rebuildit@mywcss.org.