Thursday 22 December 2011

Why I believe in Community Thrift Stores

I am a thrift store shopper from way back. As a child, I raided my parents wardrobes for "dress-ups", and eagerly awaited the bags of clothes outgrown by my older cousins to dress myself in something "new".
As a teenager, my thrift store habits were driven by both the need to look different and the lack of money to afford to look the same (the latter fed the former).
So as I left home, I had already formed a strong love and appreciation for all treasures second-hand, and the collection of these treasures which fed my identity as an Arts student who wanted to make a statement, along with all the other 10,000 Arts students at my university.

Since making Whistler my home and taking on the amazing opportunity to work at what I feel is one of the very best thrift stores I've seen, I have learned to consider thrift stores in a different light. So often in the past I had failed to ask the question "Where is my money going?". There is nothing wrong in simply shopping at a thrift store for the great deals, but there is so much more to the decision to spend your money with a store such as The WCSS Re-Use-It Centre and The WCSS Re-Build-It Centre.

By shopping at stores like ours you are supporting and building community. The implication of spending your hard-earned money on items we're selling is the support of the organization's Mission and Vision:

Our Mission is to provide programs and services that improve social sustainability in Whistler.
Our Vision is to be the prominent social service resource in Whistler by responding to the changing needs of a diverse Whistler community.


All items sold at our stores are donated as goodwill. This means we are able to direct all funds generated to our programming. This set-up is unique in many ways; you as a customer are able to see the results of the money you've put towards us in the local community.

Our community thrift stores are not just about the money though- we work to foster connections and networks of locals and visitors, those who make a visit to our store part of a weekly (or sometimes daily) ritual, both for the quiet browsing of our racks and shelves, as well as to bump into the others they know who are also loyal shoppers. Our volunteer program has been given new life thanks to the awesome Sarah, Assistant Manager, which gives anyone a chance to help out, see how the store works, and contribute to generating even more money for our programs.

We aim to create a welcoming space, with a fun but relaxed environment so you can feel encouraged and supported in your decision to shop and meet your needs with items that have already had a life elsewhere. Community thrift stores give you the ability to say no to consuming unecessarily and adding to a planet already filled with things. So walk with a spring in your step knowing you're wearing a North Face GoreTex jacket you bought for $30, going home to bake in a Pyrex tray you found for $5, and settling down to read a best-seller you snapped up for $2.

I believe in Community Thrift stores like The Re-Use-It Centre and The Re-Build-It Centre for all these reasons and more. I hope you do too!

Helen, Manager at The Re-Use-It Centre

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. You can also email WCSS office: admin@mywcss.org, Re Use It Centre: reuseit@mywcss.org or Re Build It Centre: rebuildit@mywcss.org.